Certain issues are basic to the study of environmental science. After reading this chapter, you should understand:
- Why rapid human population growth is the fundamental environmental issue.
- Why we must learn to sustain our environmental resources so that the will be available in the future.
- How human beings affect the environment of the entire planet and why we must take a global perspective on environmental problems.
- Why urban environmental issues and the effects of urban areas on environments elsewhere need to be given primary focus.
- Why developing solutions to environmental problems requires making value judgments based on knowledge of scientific facts.