Restoration ecology is a new field. In this chapter, we explore the concepts of restoration ecology, with a special emphasis on how ecosystems restore themselves through the process of ecological succession. After reading this chapter, you should understand:
- What ecological restoration means.
- What kinds of goals are possible for ecological restoration.
- What basic approaches, methods, and limits apply to restoration.
- How an ecosystem restores itself following a disturbance through ecological succession.
- What role disturbances play in the persistence of ecosystems.
- How physical forces and biological processes affects the land.
- Why ecosystems do not maintain a steady-state condition.